Tuesday, December 6, 2011

$2 Dishtowel Christmas Pillowcase Dress

Yup,  I made my daughter I dress out of dishtowels.  

It is one of those things that could go very wrong or very right.  I wasn't convinced it was right, until she tried it on and then I felt pretty damn good.  But Penelope would look cute in a potato sack, so I am not sure if I am seeing clearly. 


I have seen dishtowel skirt tutorials online and that is what planted the seed for the idea in the first place.  Apparently, people are making other types of children's clothing with dishtowels.  I am not sure about this, but mad props to this mom for being creative.


In my mind a dishtowel is thicker and a tea towel is thinner.  This dress would probably be easier to sew with a thinner tea towel, but I liked that the dish towel was thicker, because it would give her added warmth this month.  Not that we need it, the high was 80 yesterday!

Miss P was not really in the mood to be photographed this day.  She just wanted to play, can't really blame her.

I originally planned to make her a Christmas dress with some amazing, vintage inspired Christmas fabric I found, but after I paid for it, I got an email saying they were sold out.


I needed to come up with plan B and I did not want to go into Joanne's and wait in line for an hour, so I decided to tempt fate and experiment with the dish towels!

I got the towels at Target, the day after Christmas last year, and got them 50% off.  They came in a bundle of two, and with the sale cost $2.  I used one for the front and one for the back.  I had the ribbon and bias tape on hand from another project.


I think the pattern design of the towel is what is going to make or break a sewing project with a dish towel.  It has really got to be super cute. I love this modern Christmas design, I think it makes the dress pop.


You sew the towels together, along the long sides, right sides facing.  This gives you a tube of dish towel.  Then you cut out your arm holes, sew the bias tape on, and make a regular pillow case dress like here and here.



I also made this little cutie, inspired from where else, Pinterest.  I wanted to make a shirt that could be worn with her red and green skirt that Penelope wore for her birthday.  You did see the Apple Party pictures, right?!


So what do you think?  Is the dish towel, pillow case dress, a right or a wrong? 






Follow Me on PinterestOr on Facebook!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Very nice!

    Brooke
    www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEFINITELY a right. I can't wait to try this (and the bow shirt) out! :)

    ReplyDelete