Monday, August 8, 2011

Bay Scallops with Bacon Vinaigrette

The other week we took Penelope on her first boat ride and it was a huge success.  She is such a little fish.  If there is water near, she is happy.  I swear, it is because she was born in water, but her Papa is fish too.  He is on the cusp of Aries/Pisces and he used to do competitive swimming, teach swim lessons.  He has been surfing and fishing, since he was a kid too. 

We got that hat at REI, mostly she rips it off, but I got her to wear for a little bit. And her shirt is another applique sneak peak, tutorial coming soon, promise!

This is what happened on the way in after a morning of boating and scalloping.  Scalloping is probably the most fun I have had in a really long time.  I will have to do another post on scalloping soon.

When we got home, I cooked up our scallops. It was such an interesting feeling to cook something that I also harvested/gathered myself.  When I was out there, I totally felt in tune with hunter/gather humans that have come before me.  It was also super cool to be eating an animal food that was local and in season.  Veggies are easy to eat local, but meat is a whole other ball game.

Before the recipe, just a note. Please excuse these horrible pictures.  My husband took them.  :)

First, cook up a half package of bacon.  I cut up the bacon and then threw it in the pan.  But I guess you could chop it up after, if you wanted.

While they are cooking, lay out your scallops on a towel to get rid of any excess moisture.

When the bacon is cooked, remove it and set aside.  Then I add minced garlic, apple cider vinegar ( I use Braggs, its raw and really good for you), and lemon juice.  Mix it all up and let the garlic cook for a second.  I used med-high heat.  And a cast-iron skillet.

Then add the scallops.  Just for like a minute and half, then take it off the heat and let it cook for another minute or two.  That is the trick to scallops, don't over cook them! 

Then mix your bacon back in and toss.  You can put this over pasta or a salad.

Inhale.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. That picture of P sleeping is precious! I have never had scallops before... I never ever ate fish until I was pregnant with Nora, and could not get enough of sushi. What do they taste like, or more important, what kind of texture do they have? That looks super scrum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are kind of chewy, but I like the texture. They are not slimy like oysters. I don't know how to describe the taste, but they are yummy. I even ate several raw that day out on the boat, and they have an amazing flavor to them just as they are.

    ReplyDelete