Monday, August 29, 2011

My Yoga Studio

So the other week, when I was putting together last week's post about Tree Pose, I came across some old pictures of my yoga studio.  It made me want to share with you all, because this place was so sacred to me.

I have been in love with yoga since I was 13.  To open a yoga studio in 2006, at age 24, was a dream come true.  Looking back, I can't believe I pulled it off for even two years.  What 24 year old does that?  With no business experience at all?

The couple of years it was open, taught me so much. I joke, that I am a self taught entrepreneur, and that I got my MBA from the School of Hard Knocks.  Now that I am doing freelance social media marketing and pr, I finally use everything I learned during those years to help someone else, not to mention, I created an awesome, part-time, work-at-home career for myself.

Anyway, so here are some pictures.  I did the build out of the space, totally eco-friendly and non-toxic.  And back in 2006, going green wasn't as huge as it is today.  I was the first business in Tallahassee to do that and the first to sell organic clothes.  Even though some people see it as a failure, I see it as a success.  I am so proud of myself for having the guts to risk everything to go after my dream.  I helped so many women and families during that time and I know I made a difference and planted seeds for change in our local community.  And even though I am STILL paying back the start up loan for this place, I am glad I did it.  I wouldn't change a thing, because then I wouldn't be me!

This was the studio part.  Those floors are bamboo. My husband and I, my brother and another two friends laid them ourselves.  All 2000 square feet.  It was some back breaking labor, but now I know how to install wood floors!  The pictures on the back wall, were of toddlers doing yoga and pregnant mamas and even a baby crowning at a birth. I kid you not.
The massage room. I used milk based and no-voc paint for the walls.  Bamboo and organic sheets for table, even the rug underneath was hemp.  Now you know why I am still paying on that loan!
 My front door. 
 The organic boutique in the front.  Everything was organic or fair trade.
See the playroom in the corner?  That is where I spent most of my time!  I was a nanny full time during the years I ran the studio. I worked 80 to 100 hours a week, every week, for almost two years.
 The front desk.  Loved that fabric so much!
 More of the boutique.
And the belly casts!  Everyone loved these so much.

Thanks for going down memory lane with me!  What do you think? It was a pretty cool place, right?!
P.S. Robin Adams Photography took all these pictures, she is awesome.


9 comments:

  1. I loved that place!! That is where I first met you :) I always thought it was such a beautiful place, and was bummed when you moved to the Prenatal Experience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga is definitely a love of mine, I really don't know what I would do without it!

    Brooke
    www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was this the studio at Midtown? Or am I thinking of another place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maureen, thanks! I loved it too.
    @Brooke, for real. I would be a puddle on the floor, or off the deep end Ka-razy.
    @eidolons...yes, it was in Manor@Midtown, next to Finnagins Wake.
    @Salena...Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought so! We used to walk past there (on our way to Luna's and the Coffee Pub) and I would oooh and aaah and wish we could afford the lovely things in your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fantastic, nurturing space. I wish I lived near you rather than a whole continent away....
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! You are so inspiring! We are changing our life in two weeks by moving across the country to change our living setting for our family. I love yoga and I think this would be so fun! I look forward to following your blog. I have a birth story completely different than yours, and also struggled with breastfeeding. I gave up after 6 weeks with my second child. I just don't produce. :( It's devistating...I still don't have it in me to write about it.

    www.theyfloatmyboat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Brianna...thank you for your sweet words, they mean a lot to me. Sorry to hear about your breastfeeding struggles, it really is devastating, like mourning a death. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete