Thursday, August 25, 2011

Learning ABC's

First off, let me take a moment to admire my photography skills here.  This was NOT taken in Auto. I have started taking private lessons from a local photographer, Christy Baldwin.  I have a long way to go, but finally, finally it is all starting to come together.  I have read books, taken two different group classes, I have a fancy ass camera, and still I relied on Auto.  But things are a changing!

Ok, so now that we have that out of the way, let me tell you about Penelope and her ABC's.  I know I am partial, but the girl is a genius.  I am hoping that she got the best of both worlds, from her father and I.  I am emotionally and creatively very smart, I read fast and write well. Her Papa is an engineer, the kind that can do ridiculous math equations.  In his head.  I am not sure if she is ahead of the curve to be honest, but it sure feels like it.  She talks up a storm and knows every single letter of the Alphabet.  She can pick any letter out of a pile and say, P!  And then puts it the correct spot.  When they are all in, we will sing the alphabet song and I point to each letter as I sing.  She also likes me to make words with the letters.

We got this ABC puzzle at a garage sale for $1 and it is one of her favorite toys.  She will mimic how we played together by herself.  She will put them all in their spots and then line them up and pretend to make words.


We also have an Elmo Etch-a-Sketch and she loves to tell me what words to write. So we go down a long list of three and four letter words (Cat, Mama, etc) and I write them on the board.  Then I will pick a word to write and she will tell me what it says.  Basically reading.  She also likes to play this game when we are painting.



I am thinking about revamping her playroom and I would like to do this on one of the walls.  I would like to attach them to the wall via velcro or something else that is easily removable/attachable.  I would like her to start using the letters to making her own words.  I don't want to be a psycho tiger mom forcing her 2 year old to learn how to read, but she really enjoys letter play, so I want to go along with it and encourage it.

How did you teach your little one's their ABC's?   And p.s. thanks for letting me brag for a moment. :)





Pin It


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. We have that puzzle! We also have the one that says the letter when the letter is put into place. My kids love both. Leap Frog's magnetic abcs are a big hit too. Here's what we did last week:
    http://mamamusingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/school-days-chicka-chicka-boom-boom.html

    Mama Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on moving off the Auto mode!! :) Once you learn all the fun stuff you can do when you're in control of the camera, you will get SO excited.

    I LOVE that ABC idea for a playroom wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've recently become a fan and I am hugely into Pinterest. I came across this last night and thought you might like it for your daughter...it's basically a huge magnetic board (oil pan) and you can put letters on it and have your daughter go crazy moving the letters or spelling words...it sounds weird, but follow the link...it looks so great! Lots of possibilities! http://nicandkate09.blogspot.com/2011/08/alphabet-board.html
    ps, my son has one of those puzzles and loves it too...he also loves the foam bath letters so much we don't use them in the bath, but in a big bin that he can grab at any time to identify and play with the letters
    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embrace Penelope's eagerness to learn. I think it's fantastic! I'm an early literacy teacher so my reccomentation is to focus on lowercase letters as much as possible. Their frequency in print far surpasses uppercase letters. Automatic recall of lowercase sounds will eventually allow her to attack unknown words with ease and make her a fluent reader down the road. Keep up the good work mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! She's ahead of a lot of my kindergarteners! That's awesome! Be prepared though, cause she's gonna be BORED in school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Danielle..thanks for sharing your link. I fantasize about homeschooling Penelope but I am scared. Seeing a little bit of the logistics of other moms who do it, is so helpful!
    Thanks Alicia! Just being on aperture mode is exciting! I want a 50mm lens so bad now.
    Hi Lauren, welcome! I know exactly what you are talking about! I have it pinned in one of my boards. I am totally addicted to Pinterest too. :)
    @Marlana...what a great tip! I was focusing on upper case because I was worried about confusing her. But now that she has mastered them all, it seems only logical to move onto lower case. Maybe I will do the wall art in all lower case!
    @Jamie...wow, really!? That is good to hear, but like you said a little scary too. My husband and I already talk about how we are going to make our finances work so we can spend extra money on a private school or a private tutor to keep her motivated and engaged at whatever level she is at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently found your blog from a friend of mine who knows I do freezer meals all the time. I just want to say first of all I LOVE YOUR BLOG. It is very cute, informative and right up my alley! And regarding this post, with my 2 year old we sing the ABC's in the car and recite them with him while changing his diaper and times like that. He is pre-occupied with the ABC's and doesn't even realize what is else is going on. It works for us! He like saying his ABC's after us and we are making great progress this way! Also we have a playroom with a chalkboard wall and I will sit there and write out the full alphabet with him while reciting the letters and he can see it visually and here the letters at the same time.

    ReplyDelete