Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fall 2011 Vegetable Garden


Last week, during the peak of that lovely cold snap we had, I planted my fall vegetable garden.  It felt so great to be outside, enjoying the beautiful weather and having my hands in the soil.  And I love gardening with Penelope.


Gardening is such a big part of me, I wish I had more time for it, or made more time for it.  I figure I have the rest of my life to grow plants, I will only have one window of opportunity to grow Penelope.

I usually do more plants, but I felt the urge to give my regular garden a rest.  It dawned on me, that I have been non-stop planting in it, since it was built and I decided it needed a little break.

Or maybe I just needed a little break. 

I planted broccoli and spinach.  This picture above is spinach, the very first picture is of broccoli.    

Penelope is a freak about broccoli!  She could eat a pound of it a day, and I swear it is because this spring she was so excited about watching them grow and harvesting them with me.

This little bed, used to be my herb garden.  It had gotten so overgrown and untidy looking, that it was driving me crazy.  So I pulled them all out earlier in the summer and it has been empty. 

I really liked planting in my herb garden, because it is so close to the porch.  While I planted, Penelope drew with chalk on everything, except her table with chalkboard paint.  

I had paint left over from when I painted the wall in my kitchen with chalkboard paint, and decided to paint her little table.  I am in love with chalkboard paint now and I wander around my house, looking for more things to paint!

Here is my 10x30 veggie garden.  I thought it would be a good idea to cover it, in order to kill some of the weeds.  The weeds are just getting worse and worse every year, I hope this at least puts a dent into my battle with weeds.  I am not sure what this stuff is called, its some eco-mesh-garden stuff that I got it Ace.  I am sucker for anything that says "green" or "eco-friendly", who knows if it actually works.  

In the past I have used pine straw and newspaper. Next spring, I would love to put a nice, thick, layer of mushroom compost down and restore the nutrients to the soil.

Did you do a fall garden?  How does your garden grow?







Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I've actually never gardened but have always wanted to. Itty bitty seeds intimidate me I guess!

    Brooke
    www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a lot of room on my very wooded lot (and the only sunny spot is in the front yard which is prone to deer attacks). I do 4x4 beds with "Lasagna gardening" which means I block out the weeds with newspaper layered thick, then put layers of various organic material(my own compost, mushroom compost, etc.) and then plant directly in that. A few weeks ago I did the first bed with carrots, kale, chard, lettuce, and tatsoi. I need to do another one soon but my compost isn't ready so I will have to buy stuff (gets pricey). I would like to put some strawberry plants in the ground as well. Chris laughs at me though because I can never grow anything very well. Except weeds. There are lots and lots of weeds around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristen... I hear ya, compost that you buy is so expensive. You used to be able to get mushroom compost for a great price, but when the mushroom farm closed in Quincy, local places are having to ship the compost from places like Michigan and it has jacked up the prices. I am the same way, I am never super successful with my plants, but its the journey that is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found you.... Yay, working on my garden as well. This is my first attempt to make mine so i love all the tips

    ReplyDelete