Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Herbs for Fertility





An interesting thing started to happened when I got my period back at 19 months post partum.  The desire to have baby number 2, started slowly creeping in.  I have always wanted more than one child, but I had such a difficult babyhood with Penelope that I wasn't sure I could go through it all over again.


Quite honestly, I am still not sure I can, but I feel the call from the soul of our second baby.  And no matter how scared I am to do this all over again, I can't deny her.  Yes, I am already certain she will be a girl.


As I mentioned here, one of the ways I am answering The Call to grow my family, is to restore myself.  Mothering takes everything of you, and as I start this journey all over again, I want to deeply and firmly be in a place where I have plenty of reserves to give.


Another way I am getting ready is by using herbs to get my menstrual cycle regular and as fertile as possible.  I am in no rush, we want to go the "see what happens" route.  If I get pregnant this cycle, awesome.  If it takes 5 years, awesome.   I am trying to act consciously and purposeful as possible, as I move my body towards fertility and away from milk production.


I am drinking yogi teas such as Woman's Raspberry Leaf and Woman's Moon Cycle.


One of the very first books I read after I became a Certified Massage Doula (exact same thing as a Certified Doula, except we are all also LMT's), was Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year.   A friend of mine wanted to borrow it recently, and of course I found myself speed reading it all over again.  It is a classic, and I think one of the must have books if you are of childbearing age and are into natural/alternative wellness.


Per Wise Woman Herbal:


Herbs used to encourage pregnancy are characterized by their ability to 1) nourish and tonify the uterus, 2) nourish the entire body, 3) relax the nervous system 4) establish and balance normal functional of the hormonal system, and 5) balance sexual desire.


Herbs for Fertility:
  • Red Clover Flowers
  • Nettle Leaves
  • Red Raspberry Leaves
  • Dong Quai Root
  • False Unicorn Root
The Yogi Tea Woman's Moon Cycle has Dong Quai and Red Raspberry leaves in it.   I also buy herbs in bulk and make blends myself.  If you don't have a local co-op, where you can get bulk herbs you can order some here.

This is a great website with more information about herbs for fertility.  

Is anyone else out there trying to conceive?  What are you doing to boost your fertility?



9 comments:

  1. Were going the "paper pregnant" route...so no special tea's for me...just lots of paperwork and bubble baths for stress!

    Brooke
    www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thank you, Universe. I hear you!

    Hey Stephanie, I'm also trying to get pregnant but can't seem to regulate my cycle after far too many years on the pill. I just looked in my tea cabinet the other day and realized I had Female Toner tea by Traditional Medicinals and started drinking 2-3cups per day. I was wondering to myself if there were any herbal, natural ways to get my cycle back and track and BOOM! you posted this. The universe speaks to us all the time!

    Thank you for the book and tea recommendations. I'm going to read up asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been feeling "The Call" too, and feel like I've got at least one more in me. To be honest, actually two, but that will never fly. Unfortunately I've been struggling a lot more with deciding whether or not I want to go through with it because I'm in such poor health. You know every woman should repair her body before getting pregnant again, but my body was never whole to begin with and I've got a heck of a lot more to overcome. After learning about everything, I couldn't bear to have another child that I know I'm doing such a massive disservice to - I already feel guilty about the first (especially as her teeth are coming in crooked). The biggest challenge is believing that I'm worth all the time, money and effort it would require to repair my health, instead of just not having any more kids and dealing with the continued consequences. I greatly envy your tenacity in making yourself be such an upbeat person when other forces try to bring you down. I can rarely do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are trying to concieve too! We just got married a few weeks ago and officially stopped preventing on our honeymoon. I was disappointed to get my period last week, but looking forward to trying again this month. This will be our first and I am so ready to be a mama, but trying not to be impatient with the process.
    To get ready, we have both been taking vitamins (a prenatal for me) and cod liver oil, as well as drinking herbal teas (I make a stress-reliever tea for him, and I am drinking a fertility tonic-- one of Rosemary Gladstar's recipes). I have a short luteal phase, so I'm working on lengthening that with vitex and b-6. I'm also taking evening primrose oil, since I read that it helps boost fertility. I have been spending a lot of time poking around on mothering.com forums for ideas! Other things I'm trying to get more of include seafood, green smoothies, bone broths and long epsom salt bath soaks. If we don't get pregnant in a few cycles I will probably look into taking something like Maca....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I hear you! It happened to me too, right when my first daughter was turning 2, I was suddenly hit by the irresistible urge to get pregnant right now! Something about that age, I think the timing is perfect, too. I will send some fertile thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Brooke..well you should do some nutritional beefing up and lots of restorative things like you mentioned, because you will be exhausted very soon! Have you thought about inducing lactation and breastfeeding your adopted child? I have a ton of information on that because of my experience with exclusive pumping.
    @Kate...congratulations!!
    @Cassandra...oh girl, i hear ya. I have done a lot of emotional work over the last ten years to get to where I am at, and I still have lots of work to do. You are so worth it. And p.s. have you ever read the book Spirit Babies? Babies pick us. Your baby picked you because of everything you are. She knew what she was getting into and she still wanted you. AND you are doing her such a service now by feeding her well. You can correct dental/palate stuff within the first three years, by the way...
    @sk...congratulations!! that all sounds great. You should read Spirit Babies too.
    @Courtney....thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are trying to get pregnant and I have started doing acupuncture. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are trying to get pregnant and I have recently started acupuncture. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you weren't putting all of your food into hormone altering plastic freezer bags your menstral cycle would be normal and fertile and you wouldn't need all of these supplements.

    ReplyDelete