Monday, October 31, 2011

How To Jog With A Stroller

Nikki Hill, of the website, Pure Matters, has a wonderful guest post for us today...take it away, Nikki!




I wake up early. So tired. Need coffee stat! By the time I’m actually awake and no longer a zombie, the baby is fed, happily playing and my husband is off to work.  

I missed my opportunity to work out, yet again. 

Fast forward 8 hours later.  My husband is home and I just want to spend time with him and cook dinner.  Plus, there’s that tired thing again.  

Am I ever going to make it to the gym?  I miss workouts!

I finally had enough and started scouring Craigslist and consignment shops on the hunt for a jogging stroller.  

I knew I would never get going on my workouts unless I could bring my baby, Molly, with me.  After looking for about a week I found one for $35!! YES!  What a steal!  

Molly and I drove thirty minutes to pick up the stroller and that very same day I took it to the bike shop to put air in the tires.  Time to run!


About 5 minutes into the run I thought, “Wow. I’m out of shape.”  It wasn’t going as easily as I thought it would go.  No one had told me how hard running with a stroller really is. 

 Fifteen minutes into the run my shoulders were aching.  I tried alternating my hands so that at least I could have one arm free to sway and give me some kind of momentum.  

I never realized how much I rely on my arms to help me run!  Then I hit a hill… whoa.  Pushing the stroller up wasn’t nearly as hard as trying to control my speed going down. Weeee!  Hold on tight Molly!

It’s been two weeks of running with a jogging stroller and I’m slowly getting the hang of it.  A good workout playlist definitely helps!  I love the freedom it gives me to work out when I feel like it.  I’m not forced to get up early and forfeit my precious sleep.  

I’m nervous about winter coming and forcing me back indoors, but hopefully I can find a baby yoga class to continue involving Molly in my workouts.

Thanks for the great post!  When I first started jogging with a stroller while getting ready for a 5k, it was difficult for me as well.  This video REALLY helped.  Here, here and here are a couple of great websites to help you get started jogging and working out with your baby.   I actually stopped jogging this summer, because the heat was really getting to me, and now I do long power walk walks, with a couple of sprints and that feels much better on my body and I feel like it is the same amount of cardio level as I was doing before.



Do you have any great jogging with a stroller tips?


Follow Me on Pinterest Or on Facebook!


*All pictures in this post are from the very talented Christy Baldwin Photography.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! And what perfect timing! I usually walk about 4 miles every day with my little guy, but he's 10 months old now and it's getting harder to convince him to sit still in a stroller for an hour. Today he started fussing with about a mile to go. Uh oh...then a great song came on my ipod and I just...RAN! I don't even like to run, never have, but I work out in other ways almost daily. I don't think it matters what kind of shape you're in, it...is...HARD! But, to be quite honest...I kind of liked it! It was a nice "change of pace" anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any tips for running with the stroller but wanted to say way to go!! It's awesome that you went out and found a awesome deal. I dont work out everyday like I should but here we have this group that does it all together so thats fun and at our gym the zumba class allowes you to bring your kiddos. My son loves sitting in the stroller watching me get my dance on, haha, and towards the end he gets out and dances with me. Love working out with my son. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am confused- you titled this How to jog with a stroller and you didn't give ANY information on How to jog with your stoller. Very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete