Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Penelope's Apple-Butternut Squash Soup



I am in an apple recipe mood as I get ready for Penelope's apple themed 2nd birthday.  This recipe is one of the recipes I was thinking about making for her party and wanted to experiment with it.


I had such fun making this soup, a perfect way to spend a Fall afternoon.  I looked at several different recipes, but in the end, I just started adding ingredients and amounts in the moment.  I totally understand why people say cooking is an art.  When you can let go of a following a recipe verbatim, and truly let yourself create something, it is art.  



Here is my recipe.  Feel free to create your own version and have fun with it!


1.5 butternut squash, halved and roasted in the oven, at 350 for over an hour.
2.5 green apples, cut up into cubes.
1 onion, chopped.
3 celery sticks, chopped
1 cup of carrots
3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 cup of homemade chicken stock
pumpkin pie spice
salt and pepper


First, I sautéed the onions in butter ( A LOT, butter is good for you!), then added the celery, carrots and apples.  I sautéed them all, until they were mush.


When the squash was done roasting, I scooped out the insides and added to my veggie mush.  Then I transferred everything to my blender and adding the heavy cream, chicken broth, spices, salt and pepper and blended until smooth.


Then I served it up!  Penelope is a big fan of soups. Which is great, because she is kind of a picky eater and it is a way I can get a ton of veggies in one sitting.  And with the homemade chicken stock in this soup, it is a very nourishing meal.

And P.S. this freezes well! I either freeze it one big container or individual servings like I do with my chicken stock.



3 comments:

  1. This is perfect timing! We have tons of apples and butternut squash from apple picking last weekend and I was hoping to find an easy soup recipe! Do you think it freezes well? I can't make soup without stocking my freezer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that P eats soups. How does she go about eating it? With a spoon? Straw?

    ReplyDelete